The city is located at the bottom of the Sądecka Basin, at the fork of the Poprad and Dunajec rivers. The first mentions of Stary Sącz date back to 1257, when Bolesław Wstydliwy wrote to his wife - Saint. Kinga, among others, Sądecki region, Pieniny, Biecz, Limanowa and Podoliniec (now Slovakia). In 1358, Kazimierz Wielki allowed the town to be located under Magdeburg Law and exempted from paying tribute. In 1410, the army of Sigismund of Luxembourg burnt the city. In 1683, he visited the city, King Jan III Sobieski, when he returned from Vienna after the victorious battle. He bowed to the remains of Princess Kinga. He also supported the efforts to beatify Kinga. After the partition of Poland, Stary Sącz became part of Galicia. The market buildings are an example of medieval architecture, in a 17th-century bourgeois house, known as the "House on the Holes", which now houses a regional museum. Due to the preserved medieval buildings of the city, in 1954 Stary Sącz was declared an urban reserve. The most valuable monuments of Stary Sącz are undoubtedly: the Contemplative Poor Clare Monastery founded by Princess Kinga. After the death of her husband, the duchess joined the monastery in 1279. Queen Jadwiga, wife of Władysław Łokietek and mother of Casimir the Great, who died in 1339, also joined the monastery. In the monastery library, valuable musical manuscripts from the 13th century are also found. gifted in 1683 by Jan III Sobieski, banner won on Turks. Next to the monastery, there is a Gothic church. St. Church of the Holy Trinity Clare. The interior of the temple is decorated with baroque polychromes depicting the life of the founder. The most valuable monument in the church is the pulpit from 1671 in the shape of a Jesse tree. Church organs have two keyboards: one for lay people and intended for the lay organist, the other for the closed sisters.
Number of ratings: 0